Tuesday, December 11, 2007

HMS Viewing

I once work for what I thought was a really cool company who has licensing arrangements with some big biz and since I am woefully behind the TV-related and especially the tween and teen times, I ordered High School Musical from Netflix to watch with DDs to try to enter the 21st media century. I grew up watching "The Brady Bunch," "The Partridge Family" and listening to the Monkees. While my girl friends were oohing and aahing over Greg Brady, David Cassidy and Davey Jones, my tastes ran more to NONE of the Brady boys, Danny Bonaduce and Mickey Dolenz. I liked the guys who made me laugh. Figured it out at an early age that laughter lasted a lot longer than good looks.

Anyway, the four of us snuggled down on the incredible uncomfortable futon couch (how do you make those things so that they don't slide down???) and flipped on HMS. I am happy to report that none, I repeat none, of my three under 9 year old DDs gave a second look to Troy. I thought he was kind of cute in a frog prince kind of way, but they were obsessed with the girls and their hair. When their hair was curly, when it was straight, when it was in a bun, when it was under a hat. It's not that I don't want them to have their childhood crushes, but the world is so accelerated now and girls are pushed into sexuality way too early in the clothes that are out there and the media choices. They loved the music, the dancing, but most of all they loved the hair.

I know that might all change by the time we watch HMS2, but for now...

No comments: